Saturday, January 16, 2010

Getting started via GNS 3

I gave my CCNP - BSCI exam (in October 2009) way before I created this blog. I also finished studying most of the BCMSN curriculum for the exam so I realise I have really covered a lot before I had this random *idea* of creating a blog.

Anyway, so I've decided that even though this might take a bit longer than expected (building labs, covering practical and theoretical concepts again for BCMSN) it will be sort of a good revision for me and thus worth it. I originally intended to sit for the BCMSN at the end of this month but now it's likely that it'll be prolonged by quite a bit... well, unless I really start to get good at my time management skills... heh either way, I definitely am time-bound here as the BCMSN is only available till 31st July 2010! (I think) so I have to sit the exam well before that else it's alternative would be to give new exam '642-813 Switch' (which is something I don't really wanna risk doing). I think that's the case anyway, after-all it's always better to be safe than sorry.

So... onto the basics.

Firstly, for building virtual labs, there's no better software than GNS3 for CCNP. Trust me, I tried packet tracer for so many simulations in BSCI and you can just forget about it. It's *HORRIBLE*. Kiss PT goodbye as you give your CCNA (if you successfully pass of-course). With CCNP come the big guns and that means you will also need the Cisco IOS (meaning it is 'assumed' you have a Cisco router/switch at home), most IOS versions are supported on GNS3 so really GNS3 serves to be perfectly ideal when it comes to building virtual-labs.

A bit about the software. It stands for 'Graphical Network Simulator', it's constantly under development and you are likely to download an RC version most of the time. It's free and can be downloaded from its official site located at http://www.gns3.net/download It uses the dynamips engine which is what the old-skool CCNP candidates had to rely on using before this good ole' software came in place (consider yourself lucky, that shi.. is horrible). There's also a forum there for troubleshooting where you can discuss *stuff* on the DB. Anyway enough about the software, that's all you need to know about it anyway.

- Download the GNS3 all-in-one package (includes Dynamips, Qemuwrapper, Pemu and WinPCAP v. X.X.X)
- Install the program/s.
- Launch GNS3. You'll be prompted with two options. One asking you to confirm the link to Dynamips and second prompting you to load the IOS. Choose the 1st one, click on the Dynamips tab, default options are usually correct especially if you installed the all-in-one package like I told you to and installed the whole pack in the same dir. Press Ok.
- Choose the second option now of adding one or more IOS images. Add all the ones you got from your 'Cisco equipment' and hit 'Save' to close the box and 'OK' to the prompt.

Now that we have downloaded and installed GNS3, in the next post I'll talk about some of its basic features that you need to know in-order to start setting up your CCNP virtual-lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment